Thursday, March 18, 2010

Start of Allotment Diary

I've to keep a diary of my allotment so that I know what's been planted, when and how well its done. I am going into my second full growing season having taken over the plot from old Reg (God rest his soul) who had worked the plot for over 20 years. Unfortunately he got to an age where his arthiritis and strength did not allow him to carry on, even though his back garden gate opened straight out onto the plot.

I took it over in very late spring of 2008 and I have Nick P-G to thank for introducing me to the hidden gem that nestles quietly behind the village recreation ground. In that first summer season I grew potatoes, tended the old rasberries left by Reg - but not much else. Unfortunately I did not quite realise that leaving areas of the allotment to be overun with weeds would leave me with a seed bed of invaders that I am now fighting with and will no doubt continue to do battle with for a few more years. I have been takinf photo's of the allotment through the year so will upload these soon. I will also begin to log planting dates and beds.

No comments:

Post a Comment