Friday, April 30, 2010
Late posting - Frost damage to Potatoes and Seedlings
Had a problem getting the photo's off the blackberry and a lack of time to fix it meant that I did not post these pictures when they were taken. The early potatoes that I planted out in the first bed got hit by some frost damage - which surprised me because I did not think that we'd had any serious frost - perhaps the allotment is colder than our garden at home? These pictures were taken 10 days ago and thankfully the plants have recovered. At first I thought it might be blight from poor quality seed potatoes but thankfully it isn't.
Planted out 8 tomato plants into grow-bags under the kitchen window 2 evenings ago. These are now about 3 -4 inches high and have had to be tethered to canes. Last time I grew tomoatoes I did not support the plants and they rambled all over the place. All the other plants have been potted into medium sized pots. Will have to give some of these away and will plant some out on the allotment.
Most things have sprouted well. Butternut seeds harvested from a supermarket bought plant have sprouted, as have the Halloween pumpkin seeds. Not sure where I am going to plant these out. The potato seedlings (planted from seed harvested from fruit 2 seasons back has taken extremely well. I've decided to pot these into small tubs and grow them at home so I can keep an eye on them - the plan is to harvest the first tubers for planting next season. I have also planted out the extra seedlings in a hidden patch in a garden flowerbed. Quite excited about these.
Runner and Black Eyed Beans are also progessing well, although have lost a couple of plants to a blasted snail that got amongst them - ate through a Runner bean stem and stripped the first leaf off a Black Eyed bean plant. The Italian beans from Nick have not sprouted (yet). Some have rotted in the pot, but when clearing these out I found a few that looked like they were about the sprout so I apologetically pressed these back into their soil.
Chilli plants have sprouted at last - these were kept inside on the kitchen windowsill and took over 2 weeks to germinate - thought I have used a poor potting compost or the seeds were old but at last we have the little elf-like sprouts lifting their backs through the soil and lifting their slender arms to the light. Have habenero and cayenne so should not be short of a little HOT to add to dishes.
The tray of purple sprouting MUST be planted out this weekend - otherwise I will lose it in the tray. Only one line of the lettuce seeds that I planted in the window box has sprouted so may replant another type this weekend.
Only work on the allotment last weekend was to weed, weed and weed. The Bindweed has gone crazy around the raspberries as I have not turned that soil for 2 seasons.
Update picture of progress of Broad Beans taken 19/04/2010
Posted by AJCW at 1:42 AM